Sunday, February 17, 2013

Post # 5

In pages193-200 Peter Hessler experiences an adjustment in the Chinese culture while living in Yulin. He states, "I had to allow things to happen-if somebody approached me, I talked with him, and I accepted virtually any invitation. I couldn't expect to control every situation, and I couldn't be constantly suspicious of people''s intentions, which were almost invariably good." This statement reminded me of when I moved from New York to Chicago when I was 6 years old. My mom decided it would be best for her and I to move into my Nani's house in Chicago while my parents were going through a divorce. During this time I had to learn how to be accommodating with my new surroundings. I went to a new school with new faces and like Peter, I accepted any invitation to be someones friend or acquaintance. When I read Peter Hessler's statement about how he couldn't be constantly suspicious of people's intentions I realized how I had the same thought process when trying to meet new friends. If I was constantly suspicious of people's intentions I wouldn't have made any friends or learned to trust my peers.   

No comments:

Post a Comment