Sunday, February 17, 2013

Post #4

The pages 130- 135 were especially interesting to me not only because of what Peter Hessler was talking about, but the way he was using emotion in his writing. Hessler describes how he “intensely dislikes” Mao. Hessler hasn’t expressed such a strong opinion to this point, so hearing that it caught me off guard. After reading why he doesn’t like him, though, I could see where his anger was coming from. I also found this section interesting because of the way Mao was brought up. The fact that so many students admire him and idolize him seemed strange to me because I don’t think I have ever heard a student say they admired our president. And this may be just another difference between our two cultures, which Peter Hessler seems to question just as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment