Monday, April 8, 2013


Blog 1
Up to page 25 the story slowly develops and unravels an entire world unlike anything Adam Hesler had experienced before. What stood out to me was at the very beginning how there was almost a forbidding of outsiders for so many years and then all of a sudden there was an allowance of outside influence amongst their community. When Hesler first arrives they are surprised to learn of the differences of culture between the eastern western sides of China. Western Chinese women can do as they please and marry and divorce whenever they feel the need.  Eastern women are more conservative and don’t have the same freedoms as the westerners do. This creates mixed tensions between the two parties whenever they interact with one another. The more orthodox Eastern China almost treats women as a lesser breed, they expect them to not undress or shed clothes in the public view.  This difference was made clear when Hesler unknowingly embraced a little girl by complimenting her freckles. The perception of making public note to these skin defections is embraced as an insult in the delicate Chinese culture. This type of culture shock came unexpected to Hesler and his colleague; others would come and assist the two in trying to correct them of their cultural mistakes. Having several friends who have served I have come to hear of the odd insult in the middle east (Iraq/Afghanistan) that exposing the underside of your boot is an ultimate insult because it shows superiority by force. Many soldiers and high-ranking officers have made the mistake of sitting cross-legged when in discussion or interview with a native, thus unknowingly insulting him.

Blog #2

From pages 25 to 75 Hesler talks about a variety of differences in the culture between America and China. The way the schools teach the text is in such a way that one does not question the legitimacy or context of the material being taught. Another difference is the language barrier that Hesler and his partner encountered. Terms and references that would be deemed as an insult of derogatory in the United States is a common reference in China.  Anyone who is called a peasant here in America will most likely take that as an insult or some sort of derogatory gesture. In China a peasant is a hard working farmer who isn’t socially adjusted into the metropolitan lifestyle.  It seems like social classes are more apparent and visible where as in America the working class is merely divided between blue and white collar working forces.


Blog 3

Pages 75-100 mainly focused on the topic of the ritualistic habit of the Fulings communities’ binge drinking. Their views on the ability to consume quantities of alcohol are similar to those of the Frats here in America. Being socially accepted is based on how much you can consume in a certain night. Baijiu is the drink of choice for the community; and just by the name I’m guessing that you only need one, MAAAYBE two to get you going. What I found interesting was that the Chinese viewed alcoholism as an honor that few can attain due to the fact of which the Chinese are such lightweights. Hesler was more respected throughout the community after he showed how he could hold his own booze at the party.

Blog 4

On page 116 Hesler describes getting time off for the Spring Festival Holiday and being able to go out and actually see what the true heart of China looks like. I found it interesting that Hesler and Adam chose to ignore the advice of his colleagues and take a passenger ship downstream to see what the culture and everyday life was like in the countryside. From the depiction given it sounds absolutely stunning and full of life. I could definitely relate to when Hesler woke up and couldn’t depict if he was back in Mississippi or in China; I’ve experienced times when I was hiking out in the desert that I would wake up in bed only to realize I was still out there. And now that im in civilization I wake up in the wilderness only to open my eyes to society.

Blog 5

In my travels I have seen many sights, some good some bad. Most of which were a combination of the two; at the same time every moment is perceived by where I’ve come from and where I intend to go, living breathing reactions with a pair of eyes to judge every moment of reality. After re-reading pages 193-200 I am reminded of my 8-week exodus through the Sonoran desert. Guided by Anasazi trail-walkers and spiritual guides I was taken through lands that few have seen.  Growing up in Chicago I have become accustomed to the cosmopolitan way of life; the everyday fast-paced, in your face culture has been my reality everyday for the last 19 years. In the month of June I found myself on top of a mesa overlooking a valley I just walked through, the ability to see everything the light touched was a sense that I just couldn’t and still cannot comprehend. The ability to see as far as the horizon let me hypnotized me, it was like my mind and body stretched throughout the entire body but yet I still was on the mesa. This sight was very grounding to me, the feeling of being universally connected this land was something that almost scared me. Being this desolate and surrounded by pure nature, I was in a constant state of awe as I tried to believe in what I was seeing. The real weirdness came from when I would wake up at night thinking I was home in bed only to realize I was still out there. And yet years later ill wake up in bed thinking I’m out there. Sometimes I wish I still were.


No comments:

Post a Comment